Random Ramblings & Rantings

Random Ramblings & Rantings
This blog is for me to "voice" my thoughts.
I, of course, think about many different things at different times which means I may seem to ramble at times and even rant at times.
I welcome your comments hoping that they will lead to discussion.

Monday, January 16, 2012

just some more thinking out loud about religion

I've just been doing some more thinking out loud about religion.  Religion, and politics, are topics that most people will not discuss during casual/civil conversation.  While avoiding this discussion seems to be prudent at times, I think that we miss the opportunity to learn from different people and thereby refine our position in these matters.

The difference seems to be between casual and civil.  It might be appropriate to avoid religion in casual conversation but I think it is certainly appropriate to discuss religion during civil conversation. I think it is only healthy when individuals can engage in a free exchange of ideas and still remain civil to each other. After all,  Eleanor Roosevelt said "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." I do not claim to be a great mind but find nothing wrong with acting like one once in a while.


So I will from time to time post some of my thinking about religion and invite the comments of others so that we might have a civil discussion.






2 comments:

  1. I like your sentiments. It would be nice to discuss issues of religion and politics in a civil manner. Thanks for your visit to my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog and your comment. I am passionate concerning my relationship with God. The debate or discussion of religion is often difficult for many. I personally have never liked the term "religion" because it implies a dogma or puts man's opinion of God instead of God's opinion of Himself. I like the term relationship or God follower or Christ follower much better because that is what we are instructed to do.

    God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete